Radeon 7500 + TV out: xorg.conf settings?

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 19:13:51 PDT 2007

On 10/29/07, David Hagood <david.hagood at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am trying to set up the 1.3.0 X server on a Radeon 7500 to support
> both video on the VGA and on the TV port.
>
> I have TV out working if I use xrandr to set up the display:
>   xrandr --addmode S-video 800x600
>   xrandr --output S-video --mode 800x600
>
> However, what I would like to do is to have this come up automatically
> when X comes up, *and* I would like to have the TV display be a separate
> sub-screen with its own (region of the) frame buffer.
>
> In other words, I want to have the VGA monitor being :0.0 running
> 1024x768, and the TV out being :0.1 running 800x600 (NTSC), so that I
> can stick MythTV on :0.1 and let the normal desktop be on :0.0.

with xrandr you only get one screen, so you won't be able to set up
:0.0 and :0.1 with the xrandr enabled driver. You can set up dualhead
by default however with VGA and TV.  TV-out detection is disabled by
default however you can force it on by adding this option to your
config (requires ati driver from git):
Option "TVDACLoadDetect" "TRUE"

> Is this possible, and if so, what do I have to put into the xorg.conf to
> make this happen?

see this page for more info about dualhead and xrandr:
http://www.intellinuxgraphics.org/dualhead.html
it's written from the intel perspective, but is valid for other xrandr
drivers as well.

> Alternatively, what would I have to put into my X startup to make this
> happen?

xrandr --addmode S-video 800x600
xrandr --output S-video --mode 800x600
xrandr --output S-video --right-of VGA-0

Alex