SOLVED: xorg, 965GM -> no devices detected

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Oct 23 16:05:21 PDT 2007

Dave Airlie wrote:
> On 10/24/07, Eric Anholt <eric at anholt.net> wrote:
>>> +1 for that as I am going to have to remove it anyway so that I can
>>> provide a real i810 1.7.4 package for people with older 845 chipsets
>>> that do not work with the newer driver.
>>>
>>> Eric, David Airlie and Keith P are all aware of this issue, so not
>>> trying to poke them here, just highlighting another reason to remove the
>>> symlink ;)
>> Whatever new bug is occurring that has broken use of "i810" as the
>> driver name should be fixed, rather than removing the symlink. Breaking
>> old multihead configs was unfortunate and massively painful; breaking
>> every system with a leftover config file from pre-2.0 is not acceptable.
>>

> The link isn't broken, distros aren't making it, they are still
> installing both drivers by default to support seemingly just that 845
> chipset with LVDS that made it into the Dell laptops..

I think the OP of this topic is suggesting that even on new hardware
with only the 2.1.1 version installed, if the xorg.conf has Driver
"i810" in it things will break in some subtle way, but changing it to
"intel" (and thus not going through the symlink) it works.

Of course there is a chance that the OP actually had both intel and i810
 drivers installed (e.g on his system i810_drv.so is not actually a
symlink, it's literally just the older driver)

Col