1680 x 1050 with intel driver?

Louis E Garcia II louisg00 at bellsouth.net
Sun Oct 21 20:17:54 PDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-10-17 at 11:00 +0800, Keith Packard wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-10-16 at 14:52 -0400, Louis E Garcia II wrote:
> > I'm planning on getting a Dell E228WFP 22-inch Widescreen for my second
> > screen for my laptop which has an Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS,
> > 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03) with vga out.
> > The max resolution is 1680 x 1050 / 60 Hz. I'm on fedora 8 using the
> > intel drv. Can this work?
>
> Yes, the intel driver will work with any monitor <= 2048 pixels wide and
> <= 2048 pixels tall.
>
> Any LCD monitor should have EDID data so that the driver will
> automatically pick the native mode.
>
> I use 1680x1050, 1600x1200, 1920x1200 and 1920x1050 monitors quite
> often.
>
> If it doesn't work, set your ModeDebug option in the xorg.conf file and
> post the config file and Xorg.0.log file to bugzilla so we can fix it.

I finally got my 24" monitor though not the same brand, it is an LG.

I am not able to configure this monitor with my laptop under linux as I
can with Windows. My laptop runs at 1280x800 and my new monitor at
1920x1200. I am able to view one at a time in their native resolutions
but trying to bring up X with two different resolutions fails. Is this a
limitation of X or the intel driver?

Second I would like to use my new monitor as an extension of my laptop
but all I can see is the same desktop on both screens. I have tried the
Xinerama option under ServerLayout but it freezes my who laptop.

-Louis