If your monitor doesn't sync with xf86-video-intel

Tino Keitel tino.keitel+xorg at tikei.de
Fri Oct 19 16:32:29 PDT 2007

On Fri, Oct 19, 2007 at 11:18:15 -0700, Eric Anholt wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-10-19 at 15:32 +0200, Tino Keitel wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 18, 2007 at 12:27:04 -0700, Eric Anholt wrote:
> > > We've been looking into an issue with our PLL programming, where
> > > following the spec as we understand it results in us not being able to
> > > choose a reasonable dotclock for a number of popular video modes
> > > (115-140Mhz dotclocks for VGA/TMDS outputs).  I've pushed a check into
> > > the driver to warn in the log if our chosen dotclock is wildly out of
> > > range.
> >
> > I had a case where my TFT reports "invalid mode" and 57 Hz, whereas
> > Xorg claims to use a 60 Hz mode. Is this the scenario that you are
> > talking about?
>
> That would be a potential effect of this issue.  To confirm, check your
> log with the current driver.

I removed my special modeline from xorg.conf. Then I got this in the
log file:

(WW) intel(0): Chosen PLL clock of 115.2 Mhz more than 2% away from
desired 119.0 Mhz

I did the requested change in the source. Now the above log line is
gone, but the screen is shrinked vertically to the half of the size. So
it is still unusable for me without a special modeline.

Regards,
Tino