More on input hotplug

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Fri Oct 19 08:29:24 PDT 2007

Hi,

On Fri, Oct 19, 2007 at 12:17:09PM -0200, Ademar de Souza Reis Jr. wrote:
> I've packaged xserver-1.4 for mandriva cooker and we're
> experiencing some problems with input-hotplug:
>
> 1. The main problem is that users expected that their devices
> configured via xorg.conf would keep working, but as discussed in
> a previous thread, keyboards configured in xorg.conf are
> surpassed by the evdev driver and xkb options are thus ignored.
>
> Shouldn't preference be given to what's inside xorg.conf, so that
> we keep backward compatibility and a smooth transition?

Yes, preference is given to xorg.conf, but due to the nature of
kbd/evdev interactions, evdev just white-ants kbd.  There's a bit of
work we can do here (if there's already a kbd device defined in the
config file, don't auto-add keyboards), so I'll check it out.

> 2. Keyboard leds are not working properly (with both evdev and
> keyboard drivers) - my num-lock has its logic inverted and both
> caps-lock and scroll-lock leds don't switch on - although the
> keys are effective. It has been reported with different
> keyboard models and layouts.

Yeah, the fix for this is in the works, and I'm pushing it within a
week, hopefully.

> 3. I have this error on xserver output:
>
> """
> The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
> [...]
> Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server
> """
>
> (I've rebuilt all drivers, xkbcomp, etc)

This is, as it indicates, just a warning: it's due to the XKB data files
themselves.

> Has the development for xserver 1.4.1 already started? On git,
> origin/input-hotplug last commit is from nov-2006 and on
> origin/server-1.4-branch the last one is
> "Bump version to 1.4.0".

Sort of.  I'll be pushing an input-for-server-1.4.1 branch pretty soon
(as well as a bunch of fixes to server-1.4-branch).  I've just been way
too busy lately, which is why I slipped the release date by a few days.

Cheers,
Daniel