Glucose status/instructions request, (and notes on stale branches)

José Fonseca jrfonseca at tungstengraphics.com
Thu Oct 18 16:41:36 PDT 2007

On 10/18/07, Carl Worth <cworth at cworth.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 08:10:32 +0000 (UTC), José Fonseca wrote:
> > I wrote some quick status info on
> >
> >   http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/Glucose
>
> Thanks for this. It's helpful for me, and likely for others as well.
>
> Going through the builds of each module from scratch, and installing
> into a clean prefix I've found a couple of problems.
>
> 1. The xserver module doesn't seem to use the GLUCOSE_CFLAGS or
>    GLUCOSE_LIBS it computes.
>
> 2. Modules such as xf86-input-keyboard and xf86-input-mouse aren't
>    picking up the necessary flags for the piciaccess module.
>
> I'm quite sure the second failure is not glucose-specific. What's
> happening is that libpciaccess is installing to $prefix/include while
> all X-specific headers are installing to $prefix/include/xorg. The
> current pkg-config check in xf86-input-mouse looks like this:
>
> PKG_CHECK_MODULES(XORG, [xorg-server >= 1.0.99.901] xproto $REQUIRED_MODULES)
>
> which is getting things like -I$prefix/include/xorg and
> -I$prefix/include/pixman-1, but it's never getting the
> -I$prefix/include that would be provided by a pkg-config check of the
> "pciaccess" module.
>
> I can get these module to build by adding "pciaccess" to the above
> configure line, but I'm not sure if the correct fix isn't to have that
> as a dependency within the xorg-server module, for example.
>
> I'll be happy to contribute direct patches if someone could give me
> guidance on the "right" fix.

I suppose it's a matter of policy. Doing

  find xorg -iname *.pc.in | xargs grep "Cflags:"

shows that modules do not replicate its dependencies' CFLAGS in the
exported CFLAGS. So I guess the responsability to enumerate all
dependencies is transfered downstream (i.e., to xf86-input-keyboard
and xf86-input-mouse in this case).

In any case, when I'm building to a non-standard prefix and I get this
sort of problems I do

  export CPPFLAGS="-I $prefix/include"

before autogen to quickly overcome it.

José