Ubuntu 7.10/xserver-xorg.video-amd crashes on Geode LX/Linutop on Xorg start

Bastian Bense bastibense at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 23:10:36 PDT 2007

Hello folks,

I recently bought a Geode LX based Linutop PC and installed a recent
version of Ubuntu (7.04 and 7.10 to be exact). In order to use
accelerated video I had to install the xserver-xorg-video-amd package
that comes at least with Ubuntu 7.10.

Unfortunately I am experiencing a weird crash when xorg starts up,
taking the whole machine with it. Xorg does not say a lot when going
down, nor does any of the logs.

The more or less detailed description of the problem can be found here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-amd/+bug/140051

Linutop provides some more info on their Wiki:
http://www.linutop.com/wiki/index.php/Graphic_Driver
And I guess they are using these drivers and patches to make it work
in their (I think) Ubuntu 7.04-based distribution:
http://gauvain.tuxfamily.org/linutop/packages/

As far as I can see there is not much I can add myself, but please let
me know if you need any additional information.

My Xorg-Version:

> X Window System Version 1.3.0
> Release Date: 19 April 2007
> X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 1.3
> Build Operating System: Linux Ubuntu (xorg-server 2:1.3.0.0.dfsg-12ubuntu8)
> Current Operating System: Linux bbense-shuttle 2.6.22-14-generic #1 SMP > Sun Oct 14 23:05:12 GMT 2007 i686
> Build Date: 29 September 2007

Thanks in advance!

--
Best regards,