Glucose status/instructions request, (and notes on stale branches)

Kristian Høgsberg krh at bitplanet.net
Wed Oct 17 11:59:09 PDT 2007

On 10/17/07, Carl Worth <cworth at cworth.org> wrote:
> Hello all,
> In general, if branches are still useful for something, by all means
> let's leave them around, (preferably with descriptive names[1]). But
> if branches are obsolete, can people please remove them? For example,
> xserver has 67 branches and xf86-video-intel has 57 branches. Surely
> these aren't all active[2].
>
> Perhaps some of the problem is people not knowing how to delete a
> branch from the remote repository. Here's the recipe to delete
> 'obsolete-branch-name' from a remote repository named 'origin':
>
>         git push origin :obsolete-branch-name

Definitely.  I'm all for this, and I've pushed (or at least suggested)
for pruning some of all those branches.  One nit, though:

[krh at gaara xserver]$ git push origin :redhat-xdc2006
error: remote does not support deleting refs
error: failed to push to 'ssh://git.freedesktop.org/git/xorg/xserver.git'

since

krh at kemper:~$ git --version
git version 1.4.4.4

We might want to update the git version on kemper... in the mean time,
anyone who wants a branch deleted can ping me or any fd.o admin to
delete the branch by saying

rm /git/xorg/xserver.git/refs/heads/obsolete-branch-name

In general, I think it makes more sense to keep topic/feature branches
in an unofficial/personal repo and just merge it into to official repo
once the feature is ready.  This leaves the official repo nice and
clean and lets people rewind/throwaway branches easier in their own
repo.

cheers,
Kristian