xserver: Branch 'master' - 2 commits

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Wed Oct 17 06:00:43 PDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-10-17 at 14:24 +0200, Luc Verhaegen wrote:

> Is there any reason why you chose this solution, instead of the more
> logical one that requires no additional mode typing?

The problem was where we had an EDID mode that was preferred by the user
over the monitor's preferred mode. In effect, we have

M_T_PREFERRED	-- *driver* preference
M_T_USERPREF	-- *user* preference

So, I've got modes that are

	M_T_DRIVER | M_T_PREFERRED
	M_T_DRIVER | M_T_USERPREF
	M_T_DRIVER | M_T_PREFERRED | M_T_USERPREF

I don't have any modes that are:

	M_T_USERDEF

at all.

I think the source of the preference is separate from the source of the
mode definition. We rarely have users defining modes now, but we still
have users preferring modes that the driver has defined.

I couldn't figure out how to make this work with the existing set of
bits.

keith.packard at intel.com