Problem with xdm's configuration files on Freebsd

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Tue Oct 16 08:04:58 PDT 2007

On Tue, 16 Oct 2007, Leslie Jensen wrote:

> At the last update of xdm the location for the
> configuration files changed from /usr/local/lib/X11/xdm to
> /usr/local/share/examples/xdm/ and now with the update to version
> xdm-1.1.6_1 we're back in /usr/local/lib/X11/xdm again, But
>
> Just to test I removed the files from
> /usr/local/share/examples/xdm/
>
> Then xdm didn't have any settings and my desktop wouldn't start.
> Copying the files from /usr/local/lib/X11/xdm to
> /usr/local/share/examples/xdm/ made Xdm work again.

The latest update to xdm (1.1.6_1) does work, but you have to make sure
the old config files are gone.  The port deinstall won't remove any that
you have changed, so they hang around and cause problems.

So back up any files you have changed, then deinstall the xdm port.
Watch for error messages about files that didn't match and couldn't be
removed in both /usr/local/share/examples/xdm and
/usr/local/lib/X11/xdm.  Remove those files manually.

Then reinstall the port and make changes to the freshly-installed files.

Final note--the xdm binary wants to look for files in the examples dir,
but the FreeBSD port patches change the real xdm-config file
(/usr/local/lib/X11/xdm/xdm-config) to point to the correct FreeBSD
locations.