Xorg Input Hotplugging

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Mon Oct 15 14:10:13 PDT 2007

On Mon, Oct 15, 2007 at 04:50:54PM -0400, Ben Gamari wrote:
> First, I have occasionally experienced Xorg seg faults when removing
> input devices. Any suggestions as to how to collect debugging
> information about these incidents as they are relatively sporadic
> (constantly run X in gdb locally, run xorg in gdb over ssh, anyone know
> where gdm puts its xorg coredumps?)?

Hmm, interesting.  Xorg.0.log.old should contain a backtrace, but I
don't think coredumps get generated.

> Secondly, anyone have any ideas as to why key repeats (typematic) would
> work with all of the arrow keys except the left? Thanks,

At a guess, your desktop environment explicitly disabling it due to
incorrect mappings (e.g. 'ooh, that's print screen, don't want that
repeating').

> P.S. Daniel, you were right about the desktop environment resetting the
> keyboard model. Changing it in gnome keyboard preferences fixed the
> problem for the most part (see above). Also, I think the xkbcomp error
> might be caused by the libX11 version (the latest release) which doesn't
> have commit 7c996f78914c77fe17e9f4feede980d895d9df51 which adds the new
> keysyms. Might be time for a new push of libX11. Just a thought though.

Ah, that too.  I have a fix for this for good, just need to sort it out.

Cheers,
Daniel