PATCH: xserver-xorg-video-intel... startup with less screen blinking!

Peter Clifton pcjc2 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Oct 15 09:02:09 PDT 2007

Attached is a patch I've been playing with to reduce screen blinking
when loading the Intel driver.

It drops an extra hardware state restore / save in the init path, and
will restore the registers saved during pre-init rather than EnterVT.

The extra tv restore helps to avoid the TV registers being left changed.
(I know KP didn't really want to distribute the save/restore calls in
different places... but it works for now).

I also commented out the register compare entering the VT (as I guess we
expect there may be changes left from the pre-init probing.)

It works for me, but I appreciate it might not be the right thing to do.

With the current driver, I feared for my backlight (surely blinking it
on and off excessively isn't good for its lifespan?)

Any comments?

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,