Is IgnoreEdid broken?

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Sat Oct 13 07:46:46 PDT 2007

On 10/12/07, James C. Georgas <jgeorgas at georgas.ca> wrote:
> Somewhere between versions 6.6.* and 6.7.*, xf86-video-ati stopped
> honouring my IgnoreEdid option in xorg.conf.
>
> I used to be able to override EDID supplied modelines by specifying:
>
>         Option "IgnoreEdid" "yes"
>
> in the "Device" section, and specifying a new modeline for the
> resolution I wanted to override (plus manual sync and refresh ranges),
> in the "Monitor section.
>
> Now (as of today's git image), the server just ignores my directives and
> gives me the EDID supplied modeline.
>
> Is this actually broken, or did the syntax just change?
>
> James.

whoops, yeah, that option looks like currently broken.  The problem
is, in a randr 1.2 world, when you enable that option, do you want to
ignore the edid on all outputs or just a specific one?  I suppose we
should probably just remove it as there's a better method now.  see
this page for more info:
http://www.intellinuxgraphics.org/dualhead.html
Basically you specify monitor sections and assign them to outputs.
from there you can add modelines and specify what you want as the
preferred mode in each monitor section.

Alex