Intel driver does not honor Preferred Mode

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Oct 9 08:53:28 PDT 2007

Alex Deucher wrote:
> On 10/9/07, Chase Douglas <chasedouglas at gmail.com> wrote:
>> My TMDS-1 connected monitor does not like the default 1600x1200
>> resolution used by X. I have created a new mode for this resolution that
>> works for me. Unfortunately, the intel driver does not honor the
>> "PreferredMode" option in my Monitor section.
>>
>> I'm using a gentoo ebuild, and I am trying to debug it, but it doesn't
>> seem to build anything within src/modes and a grep on intel_drv.so for
>> "using initial mode" shows that the code that outputs that line in the
>> xorg log file is not included in the intel_drv.so. Where is the mode
>> choosing code compiled into?
>
> The xserver (not the driver) handles the parsing and use of the monitor section.

See:

http://svn.mandriva.com/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/packages/cooker/x11-server/current/SOURCES/0107-Make-PreferredMode-option-in-config-file-override-ED.patch?revision=61432&view=markup
and
http://svn.mandriva.com/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/packages/cooker/x11-server/current/SOURCES/0128-xorg-server-1.3.0.0-fix-deadloop-using-PreferredMode.patch?revision=94119&view=markup

I've not been too involved in these patches or their application, but I
know of their existence hence why I post here.

The first one at least is Keith P's in origin.

Not much info other than that...

Col