Global config for fonts depending on language

Gerrit Sangel z0idberg at gmx.de
Fri Oct 5 10:58:23 PDT 2007

Am Freitag 05 Oktober 2007 schrieb Nicolas Mailhot:

> This is not 100% true, the locl opentype feature allows you to define
> several language-dependent versions of the same unicode point within a
> font. It's supported by pango, and is the standard way every modern
> font handles the difference between russian and blakanic cyrillic for
> example.

I knew of the opentype features, but do they automatically select the language
according to what is specified in e.g. xhtml? I thought this would maybe work
like a second font, which just shares most of the characters with another
font and is included in one opentype font.

> Such a thing exists under Linux, BSD and for the *nix apps ported to
> windows. It's the fontconfig system every good *nix app written in
> this millenium uses.
>
> I'd advise you to acquaint yourself with fontconfig. It's inteded to
> do what you ask, and it mostly succeeds. (mostly because it fails in
> some specific cases, but that does not mean fontconfig is flawed by
> design, just that it needs extension)
>
> Regards,

Ok, thanks. I did not know that.

I already noticed that Firefox does not seem to care about the LC enviromental
variables. I don’t know how many things Firefox apart from that does on it’s
own instead of using common system wide features.

Well, but thanks! I’ll try to master fontconfig ;)

Gerrit