XCreatePixmapCursor stats a lot of files...

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Tue Oct 2 10:16:45 PDT 2007

On út 2. října 2007, Glynn Clements wrote:

> > > Theming isn't necessary. If you tell X to use a specific pixmap pair
> > > as the cursor, it should do exactly that.
> > >
> > > If someone is trying to implement "automagic" theming by intercepting
> > > XCreatePixmapCursor(), they urgently need to be shot^H^H^H^H
> > > re-educated.
> > >
> > > If you want themed cursors, use functions which provide themed
> > > cursors. If you call XCreatePixmapCursor(), using anything other than
> > > the specified pixmap/mask is a bug, period.
> >
> >  No, it is a feature AFAIK.
>
> No, it's a bug, insofar as it contradicts the documentation of
> XCreatePixmapCursor() as well as existing behaviour. Also, it appears
> that there is no way to override it and *force* Xlib to do what it's
> told.
> >  The fact that the cursor theming is pretty inefficient is a different
> > matter though :(.
>
> The inefficiency isn't the problem. The fact that it's happening at
> all is the problem. If the client tells Xlib to use a specific pixmap
> and mask as the cursor, Xlib should damn well do what it's told, not
> ignore the client and use some other cursor.

 So you actually got some other cursor than you asked for? I shouldn't think
so, I'd expect that in your specific case it did exactly what you expected,
minus some hidden inefficiency which, as you say, isn't a problem for you.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.   e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org
Lihovarska 1060/12   tel: +420 284 028 972
190 00 Prague 9      fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic       http//www.suse.cz