XCreatePixmapCursor stats a lot of files...

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Tue Oct 2 05:46:55 PDT 2007

On Monday 01 of October 2007, Glynn Clements wrote:
> BJörn Lindqvist wrote:
> > I'm sending two Pixmaps, one for the bitmap and another
> > for the mask to XCreatePixmapCursor(). This data completely specifies
> > the appearance of the cursor. How could any theming be necessary? The
> > man page doesn't mention theming.
>
> Theming isn't necessary. If you tell X to use a specific pixmap pair
> as the cursor, it should do exactly that.
>
> If someone is trying to implement "automagic" theming by intercepting
> XCreatePixmapCursor(), they urgently need to be shot^H^H^H^H
> re-educated.
>
> If you want themed cursors, use functions which provide themed
> cursors. If you call XCreatePixmapCursor(), using anything other than
> the specified pixmap/mask is a bug, period.

 No, it is a feature AFAIK. XCreatePixmapCursor() is from Xlib, i.e. it's been
there since ever, but libXcusor is much younger, meaning not everybody uses
it. Or that was at least the case when it was new, definitely. Back then
everybody used their own cursors since the standard X cursors set lacks many
basic ones. And when Xcursor and themable cursors came, standard X cursor
could be themed, but the hand-made ones couldn't -> here comes the automagic
theming to save the day.

 The fact that the cursor theming is pretty inefficient is a different matter
though :(.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.   e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org
Lihovarska 1060/12   tel: +420 284 028 972
190 00 Prague 9      fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic       http//www.suse.cz