intel 945 and gl extension

Roland Scheidegger sroland at tungstengraphics.com
Mon Oct 1 08:21:56 PDT 2007

Florindo Pascarella wrote:
> i'm trying to run 3d in a virtual machine with vmware.
> my host machine is a Debian/testing with intel 945GM.
> i've got error with this open gl extension:
> GL_ARB_shader_objects
> GL_ARB_vertex_shader
> GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc
> GL_NV_texture_shader
> GL_EXT_framebuffer_object

> there is something i can do to support this extension?
I'm not quite sure what the error is, does vmware somehow rely on those
extensions? Just some comments to the specific extensions and what their
status is with the i915 driver.

GL_ARB_shader_objects
GL_ARB_vertex_shader
Since the hardware doesn't do any acceleration for the vertex pipeline,
this could be supported potentially (but note that the corresponding
GL_ARB_fragment_shader extension would be very problematic, as the
hardware could not support anything but the most simple fragment
shaders), as it has to be done in software anyway. Maybe in the future.

GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc
This is supported if you install an external library (due to patent
concerns), or if you don't need the compression part but have
precompressed textures, it may work if you force it on with driconf
(unless you hit a software fallback path).

GL_NV_texture_shader
There is zero interest to support legacy vendor-specific extensions (and
afaik only drivers from one vendor ever supported this) which have been
superceded by more general vendor-independant extensions. Use for
instance ARB_fragment_program instead.

GL_EXT_framebuffer_object
This is supported with a newer driver (was called i915tex, but now just
i915 again, there might be some trouble currently getting it to run
however).

Roland