Website maintenance volunteers?

José Fonseca jrfonseca at tungstengraphics.com
Fri Nov 30 04:34:05 PST 2007

On 11/30/07, Jerome Glisse <glisse at freedesktop.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 30, 2007 at 12:02:53PM +0000, José Fonseca wrote:
> >
> > I also agree that spam on dri.freedesktop.org is getting out of hand. But
> > if we're moving to a new engine, it should be one that prevents spam more
> > efficiently, and ikiwiki it's still not there yet (http://kitenet.net/
> > ~joey/blog/entry/ikiwiki_and_spam/).
> >
> > From my POV, to prevent spam you need to have CAPTCHAS. Some CAPTCHAS
> > might be difficult to read (I actually has issues with some color
> > shades), but spam hurts much more my eyes :).
> >
> > www.wikimatrix.org can list all wikis that support CAPTCHAS (http://
> > www.wikimatrix.org/search.php?sid=4265) WikiMedia has a CAPTCHA plugin.
> > WikiMedia has also the advantage that its so commonplace that the syntax
> > is familiar to most. (Although I agree PHP is not a nice language).
> >
> > MoinMoin also seems to implement something like Captchas on version 1.6
> > http://moinmoin.wikiwikiweb.de/TextCha . MoinMoin is in Python and is
> > very easy to hack (the one on dri.f.o actually has some custom plugins).
> > Also we do have all our content in MoinMoin.
> >
> > What a about give MoinMoin 1.6 a try? I can volunteer to try that on
> > dri.f.o
> >
> > José
>
> Posibility to use git to edit the wiki is a killer feature from my POV.
> This means one can work on the wiki while not having internet connectivity
> and often when you are in such situation you are ready to do crazy
> things like improving a wiki :).

I agree a git backend would be a nice feature. I used the subversion
backend on code.google.org and it's nice to do mass updates on wikis.
Git has the bonus of offline usage.

On the other hand, since MoinMoin storage is such plain text, those
with ssh access can just rsync/unison on the storage dir, at the
expense of missing history comments.

> Also i think that MoinMoin might be a bit too resource hungry as it's
> using python but fdo admin could comment on that point i guess.
>
> Cheers,
> Jerome Glisse

José