xf86-video-intel

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Nov 29 12:10:53 PST 2007

Jesse Barnes wrote:
> On Thursday, November 29, 2007 11:10 am Colin Guthrie wrote:
>> Jesse Barnes wrote:
>>> Does this patch work for you guys?
>>>
>>> It properly gets the backlight at startup time, saves and restores it
>>> across DPMS on/off calls, and doesn't mess with it at startup time (iow
>>> it assumes you have it where you want it when you start X).
>> If I set the backlight control to native via xrandr (as you pointed out
>> in another thread). Then my backlight works fine with these patches, but
>> then I'm not certain how badly it was broken before as I didn't try
>> native mode!
>>
>> Under kernel mode (the default) the backlight doesn't appear to function
>> too well. Previously it was maxed out, but after the patches it was
>> minimal but to be honest I'm not sure that's 100% correct as it was all
>> quite random and it flipped round when power was removed etc.
>
> Hm, yeah I've seen some weirdness with the kernel backlight drivers too, but
> it seems to be independent of X, so I'll assume it's not my problem until
> prooven otherwise. :)

:p

>> But like I say with native mode and these patches it seems to work fine,
>> although one thing that's interesting is that the BACKLIGHT level
>> doesn't change in xrandr --prop regardless of the actual light level...
>> it always says:
>>
>>         BACKLIGHT: 624 (0x00000270) range:  (0,624)
>
> Yeah, that's a server limitation, we need to add an actual callback into the
> driver when the user asks for the current value.  Right now it just returns
> the last requested value.

Coolio.

I perhaps spoke too soon earlier as I just shut my lid for a while and
when I opened it, the backlight was dimmed to min. The normal keys I
used on my lappy to increase it didn't respond.

I installed xbacklight and -get reported 0, so I -set 100% and that
brought it back to full levels. After doing this I was able to use the
keys again.

HTHs

Col