Installing xorg >= 7.0

Paul Bender pebender at san.rr.com
Wed Nov 28 21:37:09 PST 2007

BuraphaLinux Server wrote:
> No painless way exists.  The easy 'make world' was replaced with a
> dependancy hell so you will give up and just use the distribution
> provided binaries.  Thus we have open source that makes you use
> binaries because it is just too hard to compile your own copy.  You
> don't download one package, you download hundreds, and just finding
> them all can be a hassle.  Good luck, you'll need it.

Honestly, it is not that bad. In fact, having is use the commonly used
autoconf tools makes it more familiar to those that build from source.
Since it configure scripts check the dependencies so that you quickly
find out what packages you are missing.

Also, the developer's guide
<http://xorg.freedesktop.org/wiki/ModularDevelopersGuide> points people
to scripts to help automate the process. Personally, I have not used
them because I have my own as part of MiniMyth.