Installing xorg >= 7.0

Warren Nagourney warren at phys.washington.edu
Wed Nov 28 18:43:15 PST 2007

I am a relative novice to linux and am doing some development work
(involving the cell processor) on a Playstation 3 running Yellowdog
Linux version 5.02 (which is based on fedora 5). Unfortunately, this
distribution is very backward in nearly all ways - it is stuck at
glibc 2.4 and xorg 7.0. I am anxious to try some graphics routines
developed elsewhere which require a later version of xorg-server than
I have (it needs >=1.0.99.901 and I have 1.0.1) and some other
routines (xproto, fontsproto, renderproto and videoproto). I assume
that by updating to a later version of xorg, I will meet my needs.

I tried to install the modular xorg and had the usual dependency
problems (after compiling for several hours). I have no idea how to
fix these. Can someone suggest a hopefully painless way of getting a
more recent version of the needed xorg routines onto my system? I
have considered installing Fedora 6 or 7 (which work fine on the
PS3), but I have too much stuff already installed and don't look
forward to such a transition.

Thanks very much for any help.

Warren Nagourney