[TROLL] Re: Getting xserver patches reviewed

pcpa at mandriva.com.br pcpa at mandriva.com.br
Sun Nov 25 19:22:06 PST 2007

Quoting Xavier Bestel <xavier.bestel at free.fr>:

>> I also had this fear that use of a permissive license would
>> have made Xorg an easy prey of pillagers.  It was very much
>> the case with Wine, until they finally switched to GPL.
>>
>> But these days, even companies in the business of proprietary
>> software seem to be willing to contribute their code back to
>> Xorg...
>
> I am under the impression that GPL projects always attract more people
> than their BSD/MIT counterparts.
> Sadly X has no GPL equivalent to test that theory.
>
> 	Xav

  Personally, I don't have any problems with BSD/MIT licenses. But
I would prefer a single license for all the code. And most code
isn't assigned (copyright) to "BSD" or "MIT", just the wordings
that are almost identical on all licenses, as most are assigned to
companies that don't exist anymore, or individuals, but IANAL.

Paulo