[xf86-input-evdev] messed up Up/Down keys

Pixel pixel at mandriva.com
Fri Nov 23 07:58:20 PST 2007

Pixel <pixel at mandriva.com> writes:

> first try going to gnome-keyboard-properties, and try
> "Resert to Defaults". It should fix.
>
> we (fcrozat and me) are looking at this issue. IMO X should not allow
> to set keycodes "xfree86" when we use keycodes "evdev" since it breaks
> a lot :-/

more on it:

- if you have your keyboard using evdev:

% setxkbmap -print
xkb_keymap {
        xkb_keycodes  { include "evdev+aliases(azerty)" };
        xkb_types     { include "complete"      };
        xkb_compat    { include "complete"      };
        xkb_symbols   { include "pc+fr+inet(evdev)"       };
        xkb_geometry  { include "pc(pc104)"     };
};

- gnome-keyboard-properties sets the keyboard model the user told it
to use. eg it will do something like "setxkbmap -model logiinkse".
alas this also sets keycodes to xfree86:

% setxkbmap -model logiinkse
xkb_keymap {
        xkb_keycodes  { include "xfree86+aliases(azerty)"       };
        xkb_types     { include "complete"      };
        xkb_compat    { include "complete"      };
        xkb_symbols   { include "pc+fr+inet(logiinkse)"   };
        xkb_geometry  { include "pc(pc104)"     };
};

which is "normal" since xfree86 is the default "keycodes" as defined
in /usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/base.

- so gnome-keyboard-properties should not apply the user-chosen-model
if current model is "evdev" (as returned by XkbRF_GetNamesProp)