[randr-1.3] ramdac awareness

Dave Airlie airlied at gmail.com
Fri Nov 23 02:10:24 PST 2007

On Nov 23, 2007 7:41 PM, Maarten Maathuis <madman2003 at gmail.com> wrote:
> But there are outputs which can run on more than one ramdac and those
> that can't, so static approaches are out of the question.
>
> You actually need to occupy ramdac 0, even if the "normal" output on
> there isn't used. The usual situation is like this:
>
> 2 ramdac's, 2 outputs, one can run on the primary ramdac's, the second
> can run on both ramdac's

But you should be able to deal with all of that inside the driver, by
restricting the combos..

I can't see how exposing the internals of a specific card arch in the
protocol is going to help..

A ramdac is just a DAC (analog output), nvidia have registers
co-located with the RAMDAC control that aren't ramdac registers from
what I can see, they can be extended crtc timing regs..

So you need to distinguish on the hw between what is actually a DAC
output and what is digitial timings etc..

Dave.