[Patch] twm: add support for wildcards

Ed Schouten ed at fxq.nl
Tue Nov 20 13:58:23 PST 2007

Hello everyone,

Since a couple of days I am a twm user. I installed FreeBSD on a machine
and didn't really bother on installing a window manager, so I chose to
live with twm.

I really like twm so far, but there are some things that I think are
pretty poor and could be solved with some really simple and elegant
patches. I am planning on writing those the next couple of days/weeks
(when time permits), but I've already got a simple patch that should
make stuff much more comfortable already.

For some reason, you can only pass case-sensitive strings inside lists.
This means that you can't apply features like AutoRaise and WindowRing
to every window. Using WindowRing on all windows would be great, because
then you could just `alt tab' through all the windows that are currently
opened.

The attached patch adds support for wildcards. This means that when you
say:

	AutoRaise { "*" }

All windows will be raised. The same applies to WindowRing. When you add
"*" to the list, it will add all windows to the ring.

An implementation detail: it will always match the wildcard as last.
In theory, you could rework other configuration constructs to use this
syntax, like the wincolorlists. An example of this:

	BorderColor "gray50"
	{
		"XTerm"		"red"
		"xmh"		"green"
	}

This could be altered to be written as:

	BorderColor
	{
		"*"		"gray50"
		"XTerm"		"red"
		"xmh"		"green"
	}

This would make more sense ofcourse, but breaks existing configurations,
so we'd better not touch that.

Yours,
--
 Ed Schouten <ed at fxq.nl>