[ANNOUNCE] xf86-video-intel-2.1.99

Khashayar Naderehvandi khashayar.lists at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 04:18:06 PST 2007

On 11/9/07, Jesse Barnes <jbarnes at virtuousgeek.org> wrote:

> On Friday, November 09, 2007 6:23 am Lukas Hejtmanek wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > On Thu, Nov 08, 2007 at 06:39:19PM -0800, Jesse Barnes wrote:
> > > There are still several open issues with this release, but bugs are
> being
> > > squashed fairly quickly, so it may shape up into something decent by
> > > release time.
> > >
> > > The main highlights of this release versus 2.1.0 are:
> > >   - EXA by default (cheers & jeers all around please)
> > >   - Tiled front buffer (should improve performance)
> > >   - Framebuffer compression (a power saving feature)
> > >   - Many, many bug fixes (yay!)
> >
> > with EXA default, users will see performance regression (at least using
> non
> > composite path).
>
> In some cases, yes, and we're working on that.  On the other hand, they'll
> be
> able to use features like a tiled front buffer, framebuffer compression,
> and
> hopefully see fewer bugs with things like compositing window managers and
> Xv.

I'm using the intel driver from git now (I did try the 2.1.99 version, but
for some reason EXA wasn't used as the default accelmethod. After taking a
look at the source code it seemed like the exa-as-default patch, amongst
others were not
applied. This might very well be a mistake on my behalf, so I just
went for git master, as that's supposed to be what ends up in
2.2 if I'm not mistaken).

With the git version, accelmethod defaults to EXA and most things seem to
work just fine. But I'm kind of doubtful about EXA as default. Windows
manipulation, compiz, etc., are snappy, but just scrolling in a browser uses
100% cpu. Especially when running compiz at the same time, scrolling text
becomes painfully slow. Writing this email is really annoying as I type
notably faster than the characters appear on the screen.

If this issue supposed to be fixed for the final 2.2 release? If not, I'd
suggest using XAA as default...

Regards,
K.

Jesse