[ANNOUNCE] xf86-video-intel-2.1.99

Jesse Barnes jbarnes at virtuousgeek.org
Fri Nov 9 13:09:04 PST 2007

On Friday, November 09, 2007 6:46 am Colin Guthrie wrote:
> Jesse Barnes wrote:
> > There are still several open issues with this release, but bugs are being
> > squashed fairly quickly, so it may shape up into something decent by
> > release time.
>
> Just FYI here are the patches currently in the Mandriva package. You can
> perhaps take them upstream or perhaps fix in alternative ways?
>
> http://svn.mandriva.com/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/packages/cooker/x11-driver-video
>-intel/current/SOURCES/
>
> * x11-driver-video-i810-vt_fix.patch
> We've had this for years and it's reasoning has been lost in the mists
> of VCS crashes.... It could be useful, certainly applies cleanly, and
> doesn't have any complaints... perhaps someone more knowledgeable than I
> can tell if it's needed?

I'm not sure about this one... it seems weird that we'd need to check the
vtSema here, but OTOH I'm not sure why such a field even exists...  Maybe
someone with more knowledge about server VT switching can comment on this.

> * xf86-video-intel-2.1.1-Fix-G33-GTT-stolen-mem-range.patch
> David Airlie should know more about this one than I do:
> Fix needed after G33 changes added since kernel 2.6.22.6-3mdv2008.0
> (http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/9/20/71)

I think Zhenyu can comment here.  IIRC he's been working on this problem.

> * xf86-video-intel-2.1.1-may-prefer-biosmode-over-programmed-mode.patch
> This is the description in the spec: On a laptop VAIO 64bits, the EDID
> is not available. Without the patch, it will prefer the "currently
> programmed" mode, which really is the current framebuffer mode, ie often
> 800x600.

The concept here seems reasonable... can you poke the Mandriva folks to file a
bug about this?  It would also be interesting to see if there's an ACPI EDID
object available on this machine.  If so, we'd probably use that.

> The following are all from Peter Clifton (Ubuntu) who is on this list
> and has described most of them in the past (but who is also easily
> contactable by email if he doesn't proactively post here shortly ;))

Yeah, Peter's provided some really good fixes.  I think all of them are
upstream now or have bugs filed with patches attached.

> They currently do not apply cleanly (with the exception of patch 5) to
> the 2.1.99 release.
>
> 01_fix_compiz_video.diff

I'm not sure about this one, I know we had XAA issues, but this might be
separate.  Zhenyu should know something about this too.

> 02_xps1330_tvout_quirk.diff

This one's upstream already.

> 03_fix_brightness_control.diff

Heh, that patch has spread far & wide. :)  I hacked that together awhile back.
The one in 11527 should be more complete.  I can push it upstream after we've
done more testing.

> 04_fix_hw_restore.diff

Already upstream.

> 05_fix_xv_reset.diff

Already upstream.

> Sorry if this is more fluff than substance, just trying to make up for
> lack of technical skills by being vocal ;)

No, this was very valuable.  I'd really hate to see us release a new driver
version when there were fixes available for real problems!

Thanks a lot for your help.

Jesse