intel 965GM 3D problems

Marius Gedminas mgedmin at b4net.lt
Fri Nov 2 13:28:32 PDT 2007

On Fri, Nov 02, 2007 at 09:05:47PM +0100, Alberto Botti wrote:
> $ compiz --replace
> compiz (core) - Fatal: GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap is missing
> compiz (core) - Error: Failed to manage screen: 0
> compiz (core) - Fatal: No manageable screens found on display :0.0

Interesting.

> $ glxinfo | grep GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap
>     GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_EXT_import_context, GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap,
>     GLX_SGIX_visual_select_group, GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap

My Intel X3100 outputs this:

$ glxinfo | grep GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap
    GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_EXT_import_context, GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap,
    GLX_SGIX_visual_select_group, GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap
    GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap

FWIW the first line comes from the "client glx extensions" list, the
second from "GLX extensions", and the third from "OpenGL extensions".

FWIW some other interesting lines from glxinfo:

    OpenGL vendor string: Tungsten Graphics, Inc
    OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) 965GM 4.1.3002 x86/MMX/SSE2
    OpenGL version string: 1.4 Mesa 7.0.1

> Looks like Gutsy's compiz refuses to play with my Intel X3100 (GM965),
> with or without XV... Some weeks ago I've tried to update both the
> Intel driver, Mesa and DRM to the (then) latest git version but
> nothing changed.

Well, I did not do anything with my X, Intel driver, Mesa nor DRM, and
Compiz works here with stock Gutsy components (and that SKIP_CHECKS
hack).

> glxinfo reports that direct rendering is enabled and 3D applications work. The server
> log shows that AIGLX is enabled. I'm on x86_64, if that matters.

My glxinfo says direct rendering is disabled, but I think that's because
I have compiz currently running:

    direct rendering: No (LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT set)

I don't know about x86_64.  I run the x86 version of Ubuntu (mostly
because I hadn't realized the version labeled AMD64 would run on my
Intel Core 2 Duo laptop back when I was installing it).

> But I've seen people report that this configuration works after the
> SKIP_CHECK trick.  Any idea of what I'm doing wrong / where should I
> chase the bug?

It might be worth investigating why GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap is
missing from your setup, but I'm pretty much clueless in that area.
Or you could try downgrading back to Ubuntu versions of the intel driver
& Mesa.

> Not that I need compiz that much, but I miss it a bit
> since it used to work on my trusty old R200 :)

It's easy to get used to eye candy.  I switched to 16 bits per pixel
just so that I could get Compiz on an external 1280x1024 monitor with my
old Radeon 7500.

Marius Gedminas
--
This sentence does in fact not have the property it claims not to have.