Debug new serial mouse

Peter Targett peter_targett at pandora-int.com
Wed May 30 11:10:23 PDT 2007

I'm trying to adapt the serial mouse driver in
'xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/input/mouse' for a serial mouse
trackball in one of our own hardware devices.  A driver was written some
years ago for SGI/Irix and I'm trying to write one for Linux; from the
old source I can figure out the protocol - there are 2 packets of
interest.. one for mouse motion and another for the 3 mouse buttons.
I've added what I hope is enough to move the mouse pointer and added an
'InputDevice' section to my /etc/xorg/xorg.conf and restarted but
nothing happens.  I do see that the new protocol is used, so that I
correctly decode the mouse dx/dy later on, but I'm struggling debug why
nothing seems to work.

I have a number of questions that as a beginner I've been trying to
answer myself by looking on the web:

- as the device is serial (rs232), I don't need a kernel driver?
- I have built my modified mouse_drv program including various debug
'defines' which output messages via ErrorF().. how can I run X and see
these messages?

Thanks in advance,

Peter.