Strange behavior of xterm after upgrade to 7.1 from 6.9 (fwd)

kilgota at kilgota at
Mon May 28 15:43:07 PDT 2007

Sorry, forgot to cc the list with this one.

To what is below and to my previous message, I can add something which I 
forgot to mention. I have just now re-confirmed the following:

If Midnight Commander is opened in an xterm then the action which is 
supposed to be generated by Alt-s can be generated by Cntrl-s instead. 
That is, somehow the wires are crossed and the wrong key is causing the 
action. As I said, if one opens Midnight Commander in an rxvt window, this 
kind of thing does not happen.

The message I already sent to Thomas Dickey <dickey at> is 
reproduced below without change.

Theodore Kilgore

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 17:30:38 -0500 (CDT)
From: kilgota at
To: Thomas Dickey <dickey at>
Subject: Re: Strange behavior of xterm after upgrade to 7.1 from 6.9

On Mon, 28 May 2007, Thomas Dickey wrote:

> On Mon, May 28, 2007 at 04:19:16PM -0500, kilgota at 
> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I am trying to iron out some rather annoying problems after migrating from
>> X version 6.9 to version 7.1 (slackware-11.0 to slackware-current).
> What's "xterm -v" show?

XTerm (224)

> This really doesn't sound like a keyboard or terminal emulator problem.
> There is a Midnight Commander list which may advise you on this.
You may be right. I have already contacted them, but I got no response (yet?). 
Perhaps this kind of problem is just too weird to be considered in good taste. 
I don't like things either, which don't work and nobody knows exactly why.

Seriously, the reason why I decided to contact the X list can be seen in the 
next sentence:

>> Neither of these problems comes up if I use an rxvt instead of an xterm.

coupled with the facts that:

-- the problems did not show up in any form or fashion, nor on any occasion 
whatsoever, when I was running X version 6.9, up until a couple of weeks ago.

-- the version of Midnight Commander I was using has not changed. More than 
this, I tried re-installing what was previously there (and thus was working 
just fine before the upgrades), even though slackware-current lists only an 
increment in the "compile" number, not in the version number of Midnight 
Commander. It made no difference either way I did it.

-- it also does not make any difference if I am running kernel version 
as I have for months, or a recently-compiled kernel.

I would suspect based upon these facts that the problem is somewhere with 
xterm, perhaps even with a configuration option which needs to be reset 
somehow, and not necessarily with the code. But at the same time that I can 
reasonably claim to be one of the experts about some kinds of USB digital 
cameras and Linux driver support for them, and fairly knowledgeable about some 
other stuff like Linux USB in general, I will freely confess that I am totally 
out of my area of expertise when it comes to things involving X. So of course I 
could be totally wrong in suspecting that this could be the source of the 

Theodore Kilgore

More information about the xorg mailing list