Adding XV capabilities to a driver

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Sat May 26 06:47:30 PDT 2007

On 5/26/07, Helmut Auer <vdr at helmutauer.de> wrote:
> Hello
> >> Hello List,
> >>
> >> Have adopted an old graphic driver from Version 4.2 to Xorg 7.1.
> >> This one is working fine, but its not possible to use XV with it. The old version was able to work with xv.
> >> Can anyone give me some hints what I am missing ?
> >> The source can be seen here:
> >> http://www.htpc-forum.de/download/xf86-video-tvia-0.0.1.tar.bz2
> >>

> > What sort of problems are you having? empty overlay?  lockups?
> > unresolved symbols?
> >

> Good question :) In the Xorg log is written:
> (II) Loading extension XVideo
> (II) Loading extension XVideo-MotionCompensation
> but xvinfo tells me:
>
> X-Video Extension version 2.2
> screen #0
>  no adaptors present
>
> I cannot see any errors, but xv is not present :(

Make sure that your initvideo() function is called in your driver's
screeninit() function and that your initvideo() function actually
allocates an adapter and calls xf86XVScreenInit().  Take a look at
another driver for an example.  radeon calls RADEONInitVideo() from
RADEONScreenInit() and RADEONInitVideo() allocates the Xv adapter and
calls xf86XVScreenInit().

Alex