Synaptics MIT license, again

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at sun.com
Tue May 22 15:11:39 PDT 2007

Xavier Bestel wrote:
> On mar, 2007-05-22 at 21:59 +0200, Krzysztof Halasa wrote:
>> the goal of X.org
>> is to give it to both open-source and closed-source users
>
> Out of curiosity, are there still people using Xorg that way ?

Yes.   At Sun, while our general purpose X server in Solaris is
an open source build of Xorg, we ship it with the closed source
nvidia drivers, so need a license that allows combining with
closed sources.   Other parts of Sun also have other products
that ship closed special purpose X servers based on the X.Org
sources (like the Sun Ray for Linux product, and I believe in
the Sun Global Desktop (formerly known as Tarantella)).

	-Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith at sun.com