Get an X window ID

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at rasterman.com
Thu May 17 16:36:44 PDT 2007

On Thu, 17 May 2007 11:46:45 -0700 Alan Coopersmith <alan.coopersmith at sun.com>
babbled:

i would agree here - though if we were to do this i'd advocate setting
_NET_WM_PID as well as WM_CLIENT_MACHINE and _NET_STARTUP_ID. the question is -
do we want to transport the protocol for the property set's for every create of
a window? sure we can do a heuristic and limit it to creates of windows that
are immediate children of root and to reparent requests when the new parent is
root - but even then? maybe we want to send these properties once only on
connect and have the server itself set these by default on all windows created
by that client - avoiding the extra protocol? this would imply an extension of
some sort will be needed (and xlib/xcb would quietly use the extension if it
were available).

it would be nice to be able to trust that these properties would be more
"guaranteed" (especially startup id - given startup id you can track that
back to pid, etc. as long as the wm did the launch or whoever did the launch
of the process advertises this info).