Synaptics MIT license approved

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Thu May 17 02:34:00 PDT 2007

> At least if the courts should agree with the FSF on the open question of
> what constitutes linkage.

The right term is "derived work". How it was put together isn't
important, whether it is a derived work is.

> And that is what prevents X.org from accepting GPL X modules.

The goal of the GPL is to stop people using (or abusing which is a point
of view question) GPL software as part of non-free stuff. So the GPL is
functioning as intended when doing this, but its hardly sane from a user
perspective. The MIT licensed synaptics driver fixes all that nicely and
if the authors are happy with that I don't see a problem personally.

Alan