Unsynced TMDS with xf86-video-intel on 945GM

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Wed May 16 13:55:07 PDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-05-16 at 22:37 +0200, René Rebe wrote:

> Do you have an explanation why the distortion on the TMDS-1
> is mostly disappearing when I rotate the 3D desktop cube?

Your monitor may be confused enough that the different data seen when
the cube is rotated affects what it thinks are sync pulses.

> I would rather expect the "mis-programmed" TMDS output
> to have a static noise than changing with 3D engine load, ... ?

Incorrect timing will cause skewed output, but the monitor will keep
attempting to lock the signal, which can cause all kinds of rolling or
flashing.

Note, most of this is pure conjecture at this point. Someone with the
right hardware and enough time to figure out where things are going
wrong will be needed to solve this.

keith.packard at intel.com