RFC: move driver API to its own package

Enrico Weigelt weigelt at metux.de
Wed May 16 08:01:03 PDT 2007

Hi folks,

I've been off quite some while, so please excuse me, if I'm
not up to date ;-O

AFAIK the driver APIs are contained in the Xserver package.
I'd like to move them to their own packages (video, input, ...).
The server would import them as well as the drivers.

This would solve several problems:

a) make the packages a little bit smaller and so easier to handle
b) make dependencies easier (no more need for sick distros like
   SuSE or Gentoo to produce cirular dependencies ;-P)
c) get better compatibility between several license models
   (ie. (L)GPL vs proprietary)

Comments ?

cu
	http://patches.metux.de/