Pixman dependency

Soeren Sandmann sandmann at daimi.au.dk
Wed May 16 05:36:23 PDT 2007

David Nusinow <dnusinow at speakeasy.net> writes:

> > As a heads up, over the next few days I'll be adding a hard dependency
> > on the pixman library, which is available from a git repository on
>
> Would you mind explaining the motivation behind this? I saw your commits to
> git, but I must have missed the rationale behind it somehow. Thanks!

It's been talked about for several years now, so I guess I just
assumed everybody knew the rationale. There are several advantages to
moving this code to a separate library:

- The code can be shared with cairo; currently there is a
  cutted-and-pasted version inside cairo. The benefits of sharing
  include

        - bugfixes only need to happen once
        - the code bases don't get out of sync
        - improvements to one code base benefits
          the other

- The code can be debugged outside the X server

- There can be a regression test suite for the code that doesn't
  depend on a running X server.

Soren