GPL flag for x.org drivers

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Tue May 15 04:46:48 PDT 2007

On Tue, 15 May 2007 07:23:07 -0400
Thomas Dickey <dickey at radix.net> wrote:
> That could be useful - but going back to the example given in the kernel
> developers, there's a large faction that would like to use that information
> to annoy developers of the non-GPL drivers.

I'm not sure that is a bad thing, if non-GPL kernel drivers even exist -
which is question for elsewhere.

X has an extremely good log made from the start of the server running
which usually gets to survive. The kernel you often get to admire a few
lines of hex with little other context so the taint markers make sense
(and there are several others for things like 'logged a hardware error')

I'm not sure it helps in the X.org case much as the log shows what
drivers were used.

Alan