How does xdg-open choose the application for a given file?

Tassilo Horn tassilo at member.fsf.org
Fri May 11 08:20:49 PDT 2007

"Luca Dionisi" <luca.dionisi at gmail.com> writes:

Hi Luca,

>> where do I have to set the application xdg-open uses for opening a
>> specific file type?
>
> I found this page.
> http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/mime-actions-spec

According to that page setting the default application for a file type
should be done using the "Shared Configuration System". Unfortunately
the page of this system lists only its requirements, it's not yet built.

Currently, this information should be provided somehow by the users
desktop. But I don't use any desktop environment, but a wild mix of
different applications with the stumpwm window manager.

The only thing I can say is that the opening application is not the one
I've set in my ~/.mailcap.

Bye,
Tassilo
--
Fighting patents one by one  will never eliminate the danger of software
patents,  any  more than  swatting  mosquitoes  will eliminate  malaria.