Re : Announcing free software drivers for the new Intel® 965GM Express Chipset

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Thu May 10 19:11:46 PDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-05-10 at 21:24 -0400, manu wrote:
> On 05/10/2007 10:52:55 AM, Keith Packard wrote:
> > On Thu, 2007-05-10 at 12:01 +0100, Torgeir Veimo wrote:
> >
> > > Any hope of getting XvMC support for these?
> >
> > We've got XvMC support for both 915/945 and 965 scheduled for this
> > year;
> > you'll see commits landing as sooon as that starts, and are welcome to
> > help out if you'd like.
> >

> What kind of XvMC are you planning on? Full mpeg-2 hw decoding (idct
> and all) or less? Mpeg-4/h264/... support?

We're starting with motion compensation for now, which should get us to
1080p playback on most hardware. H.264 support looks incompatible with
the current XvMC design though, so we're also looking at what it will
take to make that work. For 965, once we figure that part out, adding
the rest of the pipeline shouldn't require any additional documentation
though, so I'm hoping to share the delights of implementation with
others.

keith.packard at intel.com