Announcing free software drivers for the new Intel(r) 965GM Express Chipset

Richard Bronosky BrunosJunk at Bronosky.com
Thu May 10 18:44:21 PDT 2007

I (and many others) are quickly coming to the conclusion that for
Linux Desktops and Laptops, having as much Intel hardware as possible
is simply the way to go.  Just a few months ago, on the MythTV lists
and forums, everyone was preaching AMD CPUs with nVidia Chipsets and
GPUs.  I'm now hearing a much different story.

When Intel supports full XvMC, that's going to make shopping so much
easier.  I for one won't have to consider AMD, ATI, or nVidia at all!

We thought AMD buying ATI would make them go FLOSS.  But instead we're
seeing Intel make moves that will secure their place as...  welll... I
don't know what to call it.  The future I guess.  Linux is the future.
 And we're gonna ride Intel into it.

On 5/10/07, manu <eallaud at yahoo.fr> wrote:
> On 05/10/2007 10:52:55 AM, Keith Packard wrote:
> > On Thu, 2007-05-10 at 12:01 +0100, Torgeir Veimo wrote:
> >
> > > Any hope of getting XvMC support for these?
> >
> > We've got XvMC support for both 915/945 and 965 scheduled for this
> > year;
> > you'll see commits landing as sooon as that starts, and are welcome to
> > help out if you'd like.
> >

> What kind of XvMC are you planning on? Full mpeg-2 hw decoding (idct
> and all) or less? Mpeg-4/h264/... support?
> Thanks for your clarification.
> Bye
> Manu

.!# RichardBronosky #!.