Re: Announcing free software drivers for the new Intel® 965GM Express Chipset

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Thu May 10 03:51:24 PDT 2007

Keith Packard wrote:
> The Intel® 965GM Express Chipset represents the first mobile product that
> implements fourth generation Intel graphics architecture. Designed to
> support advanced rendering features in modern graphics APIs, this chipset
> includes support for programmable vertex, geometry, and fragment shaders.

/me wonders if I can upgrade my laptops graphics chip from 945GM to
965GM and if it's really worth while anyway.

Lappy is nice and fast and it allowed me to configure my graphics
chipset when I bought it (nvidia, ATI or Intel - I picked the latter for
Open Source support).

What do you reckon, is it worth it? Should I try or should I just not
bother? Basically is 3D performance significantly better? And can it do
DRI on a 4096x4096 framebuffer rather than the 2048x2048 one the 945GM
is limited to? This would be nicer for dual screen support +
compiz/beryl etc :D

Col