Why can't I turn off laptop's screen?

Eric Anholt eric at anholt.net
Tue May 8 09:56:41 PDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-05-08 at 13:12 +0200, Jacobo Polavieja wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a Macbook with intel GMA950 connected through minidvi->DVI to a
> Dell 2007WFP flat screen.
>
> I've been trying to have it connected to the external monitor and make
> it the only display, leaving the laptop's screen turn off.
>
> After trying various configs I haven't been able to achieve it.
> xorg.conf is attached and just say I have tried putting the order of
> -------
> Option "MonitorLayout" "NONE,DFP"
> -------
> in different ways because of pipe order, without any change in the
> behaviour.
> Xorg starts in both screens, with a correct resolution on the laptop and
> with a small size on the external monitor.

That option no longer exists.  Now if you want to statically disable
outputs, you use the Ignore or Disable options in the Monitor section
you connect to that specific output with Option "Monitor-LVDS"
"monitorsectionname" in the Device section.  However, depending on your
usage, you may be more interested in using xrandr to configure what
you're looking for at runtime.

--
Eric Anholt                             anholt at FreeBSD.org
eric at anholt.net                         eric.anholt at intel.com