xterm with italic font

Thomas Dickey dickey at his.com
Mon May 7 16:23:08 PDT 2007

On Mon, 7 May 2007, Leo wrote:

> ----- Thomas Dickey (2007-05-07) wrote:-----
>
>> On Mon, 7 May 2007, Leo wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks. now I can see the italic effect. However, it is also bold at the
>>> same time i.e. italic and bold-italic are the same. Ideas?
>>
>> xterm might be confused if it was not able to find a corresponding
>> bold font - or there might be some bug to investigate.  I can take
>> a look this evening to see.  (What fonts are you using?)
>
> Thank you Thomas.
>
> This all Xterm related settings in .Xresources:

For a quick check - I don't have _that_ font, but checking one that I do
have - it seems that xterm is asking for an italic font.  What's rendered
does look thicker than the normal font.  I can see (by switching order)
that it's due to some values leftover from the preceding call to
initialize the bold font.  Specifying the weight of the font explicitly in
xterm's calls to Xft has no effect, but since I can see the effect, I can
probably work around the problem.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net