Intel 2.0.0 driver fails on two screen dual head configuration

Eric Anholt eric at anholt.net
Fri May 4 10:06:24 PDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-05-04 at 12:45 -0400, in-freedesktop at baka.org wrote:
> I have a Fujitsu P7120 Lifebook with an Intel Corporation Mobile
> 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller, running Gentoo.
>
> I was successfully using the old i810 xorg driver (1.7.4) in a
> dual-head dual-screen configuration (:0.0 was the laptop flat panal,
> while :0.1 was the VGA port, which was sometimes connected to a
> projector, and sometimes disconnected--usually disconnected on boot/X
> startup).  This is my preferred configuration.

As noted in the README, the old zaphod-mode dualhead wasn't supported in
this release.  Instead, you just place no configuration in your
xorg.conf and then use xrandr to configure placement of CRTCs at runtime
if the default mode isn't what you want, or use the new xorg.conf(5)
Monitor options to statically configure them.

There are hardware limitations that make the new xrandr-based multihead
unusable for certain configurations that were partially functional
before.  If someone can come up with a reasonable way to reintegrate
zaphod mode with the current RandR modesetting code, I wouldn't mind
seeing it done.

--
Eric Anholt                             anholt at FreeBSD.org
eric at anholt.net                         eric.anholt at intel.com