Why does the Xorg server reset the output when last client disconnects?

Joel Feiner jafeiner at gmail.com
Wed May 2 12:20:27 PDT 2007

I know about Firefox and allocating pixmaps, but, as you say, they should
all go away when you close Firefox.  Except that they don't.  So...it's a
memory leak.  Maybe it is a new bug?  I don't recall it being as bad until
the last several X server versions (using git....maybe that's the problem?).

Is there any sort of data I can provide that would help diagnose this bug
for the developers?