Why does the Xorg server reset the output when last client disconnects?

Barry Scott barry.scott at onelan.co.uk
Wed May 2 10:12:03 PDT 2007

Joel Feiner wrote:
> Memory leaks are NOT a thing of the past.  I have a serious one right
> now, where using Firefox and visiting pages with a lot of images
> causes the X server to leak a huge amount of heap memory, to the point
> that it uses up approximately 800 MB of my 1 gig of RAM and I have to
> restart the X server frequently.  There are other leaks that are
> slower, but they're still there.
I meant that relying on reset to fix them is a thing of the past.
And since once I get the Xorg server running it works 7x24 with
my work load I can say that there are no memory leaks at the moment.

FWIW firefox on the Mac has a memory leak problem when refreshing some pages
that cannot be blamed on X11 as it is not used.

Barry