xf86-video-intel-1.9.93: Unstable switching from text to X

Pavel Troller patrol at sinus.cz
Fri Mar 30 21:19:57 PDT 2007

Hi!
  I'm replying a bit later, because I was waiting to be at least a bit more
sure that it's not just a random fluctuation of crash distribution :-)

> Try disabling accerleration in intelfb.. because it is crap and
> interferes with life...

It looks that you are right. About a three days ago, I was trying to find more
deterministic way, how to introduce the crash. Something has happened, the
screen got corrupted, but the system survived, and the following appeared in
the log:

intelfb: ring buffer : space: 64160 wanted 65472
intelfb: lockup - turning off hardware acceleration

It was possible to restore the display by switching to console from X and
back. Since then, the system has undergone really hundreds of switchovers and
the crash didn't occur anymore.

> I think intelfb accel=0 or you can use fbset to do it..

Will add it to my kernel command line. Thanks for a valuable hint!

          With regards, Pavel Troller