x.org is Hacker Trash

Eric Anholt eric at anholt.net
Fri Mar 30 13:45:31 PDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-03-30 at 09:54 +0200, Pavel Troller wrote:
>   For example, I mixed randrproto-1.2 with xserver-1.2.0. What a surprise: it
> crashed. I had to ask and I've got an answer: you need randrproto-1.0.
>   IS SUCH AN INFORMATION AVAILABLE ANYWHERE ? I'm afraid not. At least I didn't
> find it, and I had to waste the time of a developer to answer my stupid
> question.

That was a bug.  It's the sort of bug you have to expect to deal with
when you're trying to build your own distribution and trying to pick and
choose modules.

If you don't want to deal with those sorts of integration issues, you
should just be using a X.Org release, which is what we put out that says
"we believe all of these versions should work well together."  Finding
that was awfully easy -- 3 clicks from the front page to the ftp site.
http://xorg.freedesktop.org/releases/X11R7.2/src/

You want more hand-holding than that?  Sorry.

--
Eric Anholt                             anholt at FreeBSD.org
eric at anholt.net                         eric.anholt at intel.com